Sunday, September 1, 2013

Half Marathon




Matt and his sister Cammie ran their first half marathon!  I helped Cammie come up with a training plan and ran with her a few times.  She trained for months and worked really hard to be able to run  it.  I hope she had fun!  She ran it in 3:06

Matt has been wanting to do a marathon for a while, but with his knee surgery this year he wasn't sure he'd be able to.  He trained a little this summer and did ok so he decided to run.  He said his knee started hurting around mile 9 and he had to slow down, but for his first race and just coming off a full knee surgery he did awesome!  He finished in 2:15.

I signed up for this race shortly after Boston and by the time the it came time to run I was burned out and hadn't trained at all.  In fact, I've actually cut back on my running by quite a bit (we are talking from like 30-40 miles a week to 15-20).  I really only ran because I had paid for it and to support Matt and Cammie.  Considering all this, I actually had a really good day.  I ran a PR of 1:34 and took 2nd in my age division.  

My friend Jamie is also a runner and we run in a lot of the same races.  I was determined someday to beat her so I knew if I could just stay close behind her I'd be fine.  I ended up passing her about half way and finally beat her :)  (love ya J!)

Even though I'm still burned out I am more back in running mode and ready for cooler fall running weather and maybe a few late winter/early spring SHORT races.  One of these years I really am going to run Top of Utah full and not burn myself out training for a spring and early summer race.













No comments:

Post a Comment