Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Emergency Room

Bailee took her first trip to the Emergency Room for eating a whole bottle of Tylenol.  The night before I had bought a new bottle and opened it to give Brooke some.  The next morning, I got off the treadmill to find the bottle empty.  Bailee told me she had eaten it.  I immediately called poison control and they had me weigh her and asked if I knew for sure how many she had eaten.  I found one on the floor and I knew Brooke had eaten 2 the night before so it was likely that she took almost the whole bottle.  Luckily, because they were children's Tylenol and not junior, poison control told me just to watch her but that she should be fine.  She seemed fine most of the day, but that afternoon she started throwing up repeatedly.  I called poison control again and they still said she should be fine.  But, being the worrying mother then I called the doctor's office and they though I should bring her in because that is a lot of Tylenol.  Long story short, after about 10 phone calls to different people and finally talking to the actual doctor on call, I decided I better take her up to the ER.  She threw up again on the way there and we were admitted quickly because the doctor had already called and told them we were on our way.  Bailee was terrified and not happy that they had to draw her blood.  She was very brave though and only cried a little.  After they drew her blood, they kept us to monitor us while they checked it and also had her give a urine sample.  After being there for a few hours, they let us go home and said she should be fine.  She was back to her normal self the next day.  A few weeks and a nice bill later, we learned a valuable lesson... poison control knows what they are talking about.  Listen to them.  



No comments:

Post a Comment