I relived the good old days today and ran with an old friend. It took me back to the days when we'd throw on our shoes and run on our lunch break from class. Usually with me dragging about five feet behind. For once today though, I didn't have to be dragged along. The first time we ran 7 miles I thought I was going to die. :) As neighbors in Syracuse, we'd often run 3-4 times a week together, heading out after we put our kids to bed or early on Saturday mornings. It is hard to find a good running partner and we just fit. She knows me almost as well as I know myself and is one of very few people who know all my deepest, darkest secrets. Its one of those friendships that stands the test of time and one I know I can trust with anything. We've been saying for a long time that we would run a marathon together. 4 kids and 4 years later we are finally doing it. I can't believe I just said that either. Has it really been FOUR years since we graduated from college? I swear it hasn't been that long!
We have been training for 4 LONG months. My weeks are consumed by mileage and long runs on Saturdays. Matt says it has ruled my life since Christmas, and truthfully, it has. Yesterday was our final long run before the marathon. We ran twenty miles and it was... exhilarating. I felt great and there is something about pushing your body to its limits and accomplishing something you've worked so long for that makes it all worth it. Even if you are dead tired and just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other. There aren't many people you can run 3 hours with and not run out of things to talk about. We reminisced, complained, and talked about the future. I'm excited for the marathon if nothing else just to say I've done it. Running it with one of my best friends makes it even better and I'll take a run through the roads of home any day!
December 2013
12 years ago

Bobbie I love you! I am so excited for Saturday:) I feel the same way!!! We need to start thinking about what race we're gonna do next.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your move too!! Once we get settled, I'm all for a play date!
ReplyDelete