As a new year starts, I like to take the time to reflect on
the past year and set some goals to help me improve in the coming year.
2013 was a good year. It is the first time in a long time that we
haven't moved or had plans to move soon. Even though the start of the
year was a big adjustment, I have truly come to enjoy our home and the place we
live. I feel like we are finally where we are supposed to be and I can
focus my time and energy on other things. My callings this year have
helped me to grow and I have a feeling that as the year progresses I will find
this to be true even more. I am completely terrified to teach the Old
Testament-- I have never read it and I know nothing about it. As I
prepared my first lesson for this Sunday I can already tell that I am
going to be the one most blessed and that I am going to learn a lot! I
feel like I have come a long way physically, I exceeded my expectations for
Boston and I am looking forward to continuing to improve.
I love that my running gives me something to work for. I have
come to truly enjoy my time at home with my kids and even though I still get
burned out and fed up, I know that this is where I belong and that someday I
will cherish this time and these memories.
Goals from last year:
Spiritual:
1. Continue to attend the temple monthly, with Matt --
this has been a goal of mine for almost 3 years and it is something I
look forward to and need. I may have missed a month this year, but made
up for it by going twice several months.
2. Spend more quality time with my kids -- I am still working on this, but feel like I have improved a lot. I don't know that I'll ever be one of those moms that can ignore a messy house and sit for hours and play cars and barbies with my kids, but I have tried to show them that I can stop what I am doing sometimes to play a game or get them something they need. I'm sure that as they get older and get into school I won't have this time as much so I hope that they can learn to trust me and talk to me now.
3. Have family prayer daily -- This is hit and miss for us. I have been through phases where I am really good at doing it, especially in the mornings as they leave for the day and I can tell it makes a big difference when we do. I need to be better about remembering. Still going to work on this in 2014.
Fitness:
1. Continue to strength train 2x/week -- I have done
very well with this. I am learning to like weights and can tell
a huge difference in my running (mainly not getting injured as much)
2. Eat healthier/drink less Diet Coke -- this is a goal I have had for several years. This year is the best I have ever done at it. Training for a marathon helps me a lot to keep my eating on track and I know it makes a huge difference when I eat good foods and enough good foods. I've also done a lot better with drinking less Diet Coke, I completely gave it up for over a month when I was training for Boston. I'm a little less dedicated now but still try to limit myself. It makes me feel so crappy, I don't know why I drink it, but I do.
3. Keep track of my yearly mileage running (trying to hit 1500) -- I ran just over 1428 miles in 2013. Not quite my goal, but very close! The first half of the year I ran a lot more because I was training for Boston. June was also a high mileage month with Ragnar. My highest weekly mileage was 45 miles... the week of Ragnar. I had a few others come really close to 40. My average weekly mileage was 27.5 July and August were my lowest mileage months because I was burned out.
Goals for 2014:
Spiritual:
1. Continue goals from last year -- temple monthly,
time with kids, family prayer daily
2. Improve personal prayers
3. Be Positive -- Choose Joy
Fitness:
1. Continue goals from last year -- more specifically
eat more vegetables and run more than 1500 miles
2. Break 3:20 marathon -- last year I ran Boston in
3:25, I am currently planning to run Ogden in May and hope that a very
strict and intense training plan (that bumps me up to a higher mileage than
I've ever run) will get me there
Very impressive goals. Whats more impressive is that you achieved them;
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday tomorrow. Enjoy your trip to Vegas.
ReplyDelete