Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Winter Blues

This winter has been a LONG one.  It has been so cold that we really haven't left the house much.  My kids have complained constantly that they have no friends, but now that it has warmed up we have at least 10 kids here on a daily basis.  Summer is going to be crazy!


For the first few months while Matt was on crutches it was hard to go anywhere and even when he started walking there still wasn't a lot we could do.  He did take the kids sledding a few times while I was running, which they loved.  Finally a winter with lots of snow!  I love having snow if it has to be cold.

I've run several long runs in negative and below freezing temperatures.  That is the one disadvantage to running a spring race.  Training through the winter can be brutal.  Luckily my longest run (21 miles to be exact) was on a day it was 50 and I got to run in shorts and a tank top.  I also ran a brutal 18 miler down Blacksmith Fork Canyon.  I already had a cold and the downhill trashed my legs.  I was so excited to run up some hills once I got out.  It took me a week to recover but it is so pretty up there, I can't complain too much.  If I could run the same pace in my marathon that I ran that day I'd be one happy camper.  My goal is to run a 3:30 this time but I don't have very high expectations since it is such a huge race and somewhere I've never been or run.  I hear it is an addicting race though :)  I had someone ask me the other day how I don't get bored running for that long, but the truth is I enjoy every second of it.  They are the few hours a week that I get to run totally uninterrupted and have time all to myself to think about whatever I want.  I am extremely excited/nervous for April 15.


Matt claims this is my last marathon because it rules my life (ha ha).  That just pushes me to want to run more.  Besides being told that I can't, I'm addicted and I need, yes need, to improve my times and get better.  There is something about improving and getting stronger that is incredibly rewarding.  I read somewhere that most runners are type A personalities and I can totally see why.  Running is something that defines me and makes me, me.  Being a stay at home mom, I don't feel like I have a lot that is my own, but running is definitely that one thing and I LOVE it!  It is something that I can be good at and that makes me feel good... inside and out.  I follow the blogs of several other mother runners and I'm toying with the idea of starting my own...  I've become obsessed with reading books about running, nutrition, and marathon training.  I love reading about other mom's experiences and training.  I would love to someday take a class to become a certified coach.  I'm sure that my non-runner friends who follow me get sick of all my running posts too.  We shall see in the weeks to come... let me know if anyone has a suggestion for a cute name :)

Even though this move has been hard on me (all the change at once was a little much to handle).  I am finally starting to feel adjusted and like I somewhat have friends again.  I still miss my old house/ward/neighbors, but the sunshine has helped a lot :)  Matt was called to the young men presidency a few weeks ago and is really enjoying it.  I am the girls camp director, luckily it is Stake camp this year so I won't have to do too much besides just show up.  I am a little nervous about leaving the kids and Matt for a whole week... especially since Ragnar is the weekend before and Matt can't run this year so it really will be a full 7 days without mom.  I hope my house survives :)

Here is to hoping Spring is here to stay and for a fun and successful summer!


1 comment:

  1. Fun to read your inner thoughts. I am sure you will do well on the race. Enjoy the Run. It will be one BIG MEMORY MAKING MOMENT!!!!

    ReplyDelete