I’m ashamed to admit it, but it took Grandma dying, unexpectedly, three years ago for me to really appreciate my grandparents. Grandparents are special. They aren’t something that can be taken for granted because you never know when they won’t be there anymore. Even though I never thought I was close to Grandma and Grandpa, I realized after Grandma died that they were a bigger part of my life than I realized. I always knew they loved each of us, I just didn’t realize how much I loved them and how I would miss seeing and talking to them whenever I wanted.
After Grandma died, I promised myself I would do my best to cherish all the time I could with Grandpa before it was his turn to go. Grandpa changed a little after Grandma died. We got to see a softer, more spiritual side of him that I never knew existed.
Grandpa didn’t have a lot of great accomplishments in this life. He didn’t have a PhD or run a successful business. He didn’t live in a big house with lots of toys and Mercedes. But he did have something that makes him special and something that is more important than any earthly treasure. As I sat in the temple yesterday, I kept feeling drawn to Moroni chapter 7, in the Book of Mormon. This chapter is one of my favorites and talks about faith, hope, and charity. Vs. 43-48 really stood out to me. They tell us that one must be meek and lowly in heart and that we must have charity. This describes Grandpa to a “T” for me. He was always doing something to help others. He could fix just about anything and could most often be found in his workshop building something for one of us or fixing one of our cars. All you had to do was ask and he was always willing.Vs. 45 continues, “charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked…” Grandpa was all of these things. Grandpa never cared what other people thought. Having a lot of money or an important social status didn’t matter to him. He spent his time attending any event his grandkids were involved in, fishing or hunting with his sons or grandkids, or even just making us popcorn as we visited on Sunday nights. This is truly a good life.
We are taught early in life, not to seek for earthly treasures, but to seek for treasures in Heaven. Grandpa was able to do just this, by loving his family. In General Conference in October, Elaine S. Dalton gave a talk called “Love Her Mother,” in which she tells us “The most important thing a father can do for his daughter is to love her mother. By the way you love her mother, you will teach your daughter about tenderness, loyalty, respect, compassion, and devotion…” Grandpa truly loved Grandma. I don’t remember him ever saying anything unkind to her or about her. She was his companion and he was devoted to their marriage. He was so distraught when she died so unexpectedly. We half expected him to follow her. But, he was determined to stay a little longer. I think he knew there were a few more lessons we needed from him first. At a family party late this summer, he told us stories of when they were young and counseled us to never go to bed without a kiss goodnight. In a sacred and personal experience, also late this summer, which I won’t go into detail about, he told me that Grandma has been around a lot since she died. Sitting with him at night and being a source of comfort to him.
I know this is true, as she’s been a frequent presence in my home too, since Bailee was born. She so loved holding our babies, I think she just couldn’t stay away. What a righteous and faithful woman she must have been to have the opportunity to be a ministering angel on earth. Now, I’m sure Grandpa will be right there by her side, watching over us, loving us, as they’ve always done.Knowing the end was coming soon, I made a special trip to Logan Monday night, just to visit Grandpa. How glad I am that I did. As hard as it has been to see him suffer through his leukemia the last six months and especially the last few weeks, I needed the closure. He was laying in bed, frail and weak, but boy was he was full of it. Story after story. Each one ending with how much he loved us and what a great family we are. Memories of Sunday visits, camping trips, Christmas parties, and family get-togethers. By yesterday morning, he'd gone so downhill, we knew it wouldn't be long. We wanted him to be at peace, but it is always hard to lose something so great. Even though he is now gone, his legacy lives on. He lived a full and good life. He taught us by example and left us with the knowledge that he knows the Gospel is true, that Christ is real, and that love overpowers all.
How grateful I am for the knowledge of promise of eternal families. We love you Grandpa Popcorn!

Bobbie, you couldn't have said it better. In fact, I might have to copy this and put it on my blog :) Just kidding.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, since Grandma died we've been able to see a side of Grandpa we've never seen. That's exactly how I'll remember him. I'm so sad to lose him but I know he and Grandma are happier than they've ever been right now.
It's so easy to take people for granted when we can see them any time we want!
ReplyDeleteBobbie, that was a beautiful tribute for two wonderful people. I hope that the Comforter will help take away the pain of their passing. Thank you for sharing your feelings with us.
ReplyDelete